What is SummerView?
SummerView is a conference hosted by the Tasmanian Branch of the Church Missionary Society (CMS), who exist that the world might increasingly know, obey and adore Jesus. At the conference, a renowned Bible teacher, a CMS Australia leader, a visiting international Church leader and returning Australian CMS missionaries provide outstanding teaching and input to inspire and challenge us all to play our part in making disciples of the nations, whilst deepening our own Biblical understanding and faith in God. As we broaden our understanding of what God is doing in the world through CMS missionaries we are better equipped to partner with them though our prayers, care and giving. We might even discover God’s call to ourselves go as a missionary to the nations. A comprehensive children’s program caters for all ages – crèche, children and youth. The cost of attendance is capped for large families, whilst a sponsorship scheme reduces the cost for others with financial constraints.
Join us at SummerView 2018
- When: Thursday afternoon, 11 January 2018 to Sunday, 14 January 2018 after lunch
- Where: Camp Banksia, Port Sorell
- Bible Teacher: Peter Rodgers – The Federal Secretary of CMS Australia and former CMS missionary; and David Williams – St Andrew’s Hall and former missionary
- Other Teachers: Will be advised in due course
- Registrations: Will open around September 2017
- Conference Program: Will be published closer to the conference
- Information: For further information contact the CMS Tasmania State Director Scott Sargent at or 0438 590 559
Memories of Summerview 2017:
Another three-and-a-half wonderful days at Port Sorell with a large crowd of Christian colleagues and friends from small crawlers to Seniors and every age between.
CMS-Tasmania’s president Anglican Bishop of Tasmania Richard Condie led us through four stimulating studies in the book of Nehemiah, so relevant to today's world and church. We are challenged to both pray and to act in the face of inevitable opposition, immerse ourselves in the Bible and to be on our guard against the enemies of God.
Bishop Mwita Akiri from Tanzania, visiting CMS summer schools Australia-wide with his wife Mukami, was an energetic, thoughtful and challenging speaker. His focus in the Diocese of Tarime is to be an evangelist and to train others to be evangelists, faithful to God's word.
We also heard from Paul and Cathy Sampson, who with their three teenagers have completed six years in Nairobi teaching theology (Paul), and teaching music plus helping women in Kibera slum (Cathy). Our own Tasmanian missionaries, back on home assignment from South East Asia, were able to share how God has been graciously working through them. Mission Personnel Secretary Elizabeth Richards inspired us with an overview - “What in the world is CMS doing?”
The children and teens were catered for in their own program by a dedicated team of volunteers. They also made good use of the beautiful, spacious facilities; playing cricket, riding bikes, visiting the beach, playing games...and talking!
A highlight of the conference was the commissioning by Bishop Richard of Revd Scott Sargent as State Director of CMS-Tasmania.
CMS-Tasmania Branch Council Member &
Former CMS Missionary
Sumerview 2017 Talks:
(All talks are in MP3 format; around 10-15MB in size)
- Bp Bishop Mwita - Talk 1
- Bp Bishop Mwita - Talk 2
- Bp Bishop Mwita - Talk 3
- Elizabeth Richards - What in the world is CMS doing
- Paul and Cathy Sampson - CMS workers in Kenya
- Richard Condie Nehemiah - Talk 1
- Richard Condie Nehemiah - Talk 2
- Richard Condie Nehemiah - Talk 3
- Richard Condie Nehemiah - Talk 4