St Andrew’s Hall
Long-term gospel workers serving with CMS come to St Andrew’s Hall (SAH) in Melbourne for a five-month residential training program. The course helps participants—missionaries-in-training—to prepare for long-term mission, deepening their understanding of the gospel and the biblical basis for mission. They also develop intellectual, spiritual and practical skills for communicating the gospel across cultures, and acquaint themselves with their countries and ministries of destination. We aim to equip, stimulate and resource CMS missionaries for life-long professional and missiological development.
Areas of learning
- In-culture: a course in practical anthropology, cultural understanding, cross-cultural communication and transition.
- In-mission: an integrated course covering missiology, world faiths, spiritual worldviews and contextualisation.
- Practical issues of working and living in another culture—relationships, schooling, health, security, etc.
- CMS: the history and philosophy of CMS, its policies and guidelines, communication and deputation.
- Maximum Impact Language Learning
- Spiritual, personal and relational development
The time at SAH is about the spiritual, practical, personal and academic formation of the participants—equipping heads, hands and hearts. It is not so much about what you know, but about what you become under God.