Current opportunities at CMS Australia
CMS Australia is currently seeking a professional Honorary Archivist based in the Sydney CBD. The successful candidate will work as part of the CMS-Australia Business Administration Team. It is envisaged that the successful applicant will work one day per week.
CMS-A has engaged an Honorary Archivist since 1990. Many of the archives are held in the State Library of New South Wales and those generated in the Northern Territory with the Northern Territory Archives Service in Darwin. CMS-A continues to have control of these distributed records. The collection is highly valued by these institutions because of its importance to Australia’s role in the Northern Territory and abroad.
Purpose of the position
The overall purpose of the role is to ensure that full and accurate records of all business transactions are created, managed and retained for as long as is required for legal, administrative and research purposes.
- Developing policies and procedures for current records management and archives
- Managing the archival records including appraisal, development of disposal authorities, and arrangement and description of archives,
- Providing researchers with access to archives
- Supervision of a small reference library
The position reports to the Finance Director but also works in conjunction with the International Director and Regional Mission Directors regarding access to records; the Business Analyst regarding the management of electronic records for permanent retention. The position gives advice to all staff regarding the management of current records.
Knowledge, skills and experience
Applicants should be qualified as an Australian Society of Archivists Inc. accredited professional.
Experience in some of the following areas is desirable;
- Designing and implementing a records management system especially in a small business environment,
- Policy and procedure preparation,
- Setting disposal periods for records of various kinds,
- Making access directions,
- Arrangement and description of archives especially the Australian Series System
- Working with personal records including knowledge of the Privacy Act, 1988 (Cw’lth),
- Familiarity with protocols for dealing with Aboriginal records,
- Meeting information needs of the staff
- Providing access to records
- Working in a distributed management environment
- Working in an increasingly electronic records management environment
Applicants are required to be experienced in using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and Access
Your application should include a covering letter, addressing the above criteria; a résumé; at least three references, including one from your church minister.
Please apply by email to email@example.com and include ‘Honorary Archivist’ in the subject line.
Applications will close end September 2019
To view opportunities with your local CMS branch, select your branch from the list in the top right corner of the website.
Volunteer with your CMS branch
Perhaps you have time and skills that you could offer your nearest CMS branch. There are a lot of things that wouldn’t get done without the help of volunteers. We need people to help with:
- Office and admin tasks, e.g. data entry and filing
- Mail outs to members
- Conferences and events
- Maintenance tasks
There are all kinds of things that need to be done! If you would like to find out more about how you could help, contact your local CMS branch.