Summer Encounter 2016
- 14-16 January, Edwardstown Baptist church (corner of Rothesay Ave & Dorene St)
- Book online now (registrations close 13 January 11.59pm)
- Onsite registration is also available each day (the registration desk will open 30 minutes before each session)
- FREE Friday night event, featuring local band 'Men in Boats' and speaker Greg Anderson (a great event to invite your friends and family to and no need to register!)
- NEW: Sausage sizzle available Friday & Saturday nights (gold coin donation).
- Download the brochure for more information
NEW INFORMATION: Gospel worker electives
(Choose one elective on Friday and one on Saturday)
- Gender in Tanzania: What makes a good man or a good woman in Tanzania? - Arthur & Tamie Davis
- Buddhism & Christian witness - Wim Prins
- Care to go? Considering a life in cross-cultural mission (with us in Cambodia?) - Maaike Prins
- Prosperity gospel: What's the situation in Tanzania & what is God doing through his people? - Arthur & Tamie Davis
- Buddhism & Christian witness - Wim Prins
- God calls families: How to understand & support families serving on the field - Maaike Prins
- Introduction to Nungalinya College - Mandy Jones (gospel worker from CMS NSWACT serving at Nungalinya)
NEW INFORMATION: Extra Fellowship opportunities
We encourage people to stick around during the afternoon breaks and to take the opportunity to enjoy fellowship with one another.
Let us know if you would like to invite others along to anything you have organised, please let us know so we can advertise it at Summer Encounter. We have organised some opportunities to connect during these afternoon breaks:
- Youth event (high-school-aged youth) at Bounce indoor trampoline park and then pizza before the evening event. Cost $20. If youth are interested and have not booked please contact us ASAP.
- Young adults: Cam & Maren will be at Bracegirdle’s Clarence Gardens for young adults to connect over chocolate and coffee.
- Café catch-up: Geoff and Tracey will be at La Crema (a local café) to chat with old friends and meet new friends too.
- Café catch-up 1: Barry and Ann Lock (former CMS gospel workers) will be at La Crema (a local cafe) and would love to chat with old friends and meet new friends too.
- Café catch-up 2: Rob and Leanna Haynes (former CMS gospel workers) will be at a venue TBC and would love for you to join them.
- Family Pool party: a family living nearby have generously offered to open their home and pool to people wanting a family friendly place to chill out and cool down.
- Wetlands tour: Paul, an avid botanist will be leading a one hour guided walking tour of a local wetlands park. For all ages and families are welcome.
Children & Youth
- Children's & youth programs will run on Friday and Saturday during the morning sessions
- A crèche will also be available during the morning sessions (for ages 3 and under) and parents of these children will be asked to volunteer for one session.
- All our leaders are screened, hold current police clearances and undertake child safe training
- Children's program (ages 4 and over)
- Youth program (school years 7-12 in 2016)
Rev Mike Roe
Originally from Adelaide, Mike and his family have been in Melbourne for the past seven years where Mike has undertaken his post-graduate theological studies. During this time Mike worked as a Young Adults Minister at St Mark's Forest Hill and then as Associate Minister at Christ Church Hawthorn.
At Summer Encounter he will be bringing us the Bible talks on the theme of 'Looking Forward, Living now: The Gospel in the Light of Eternity'.
Bishop Greg Anderson
Greg Anderson was a CMS gospel worker, along with his wife Annette and their four children, in the Northern Territory from 1995 to 2006. This followed from Greg's time in Arnhem Land in the mid-1980s researching traditional Aboriginal music. In 2007 they moved to Sydney where Greg taught Mission subjects at Moore Theological College. Greg and Annette have now returned to Darwin, where Greg is based as Bishop of the Northern Territory.
Greg is a passionate advocate for supporting and training Indigenous Christian leaders. At Summer Encounter he will be sharing this passion with us, along with his unique insights into the Aboriginal church in northern Australia.
Free Event: Friday night at Summer Encounter 2016
Summer Encounter 2015
Summer Encounter 2015 was a fantastic event! It featured: Bible studies by Rev Tim Patrick from the book of Ruth and missions talks by Dr John Azumah about mission and Islam. To hear the talks by the two main speakers click here.